Friday, May 7, 2010

Baby K Update...First appointment with our midwife!

Today was our very first appointment with our midwife! It takes just over an hour to get to her office, so we decided to make a day out of it. 

I first want to say that I am over joyed with how our "midwife journey" is going to far. We got to her office and the boys played on the floor while Dallas and I sat on a couch and talked with her. It was so cozy and nice! We talked about all kinds of stuff. We went over our experience with the boys during my pregnancy with them. I asked her all kinds of questions as well. The appointment made us feel relaxed and confident that we made the right choice in going with a midwife instead of a doctor. She took my blood right there...no going to a lab! It was great! We tried to hear Baby K's heartbeat, but it was still a bit too early. We go back in 4 weeks to see her again. 

Once thing we asked her about was if we should also use a  Doula. If we do decide to use one, she would be with us helping us out from the minute labour starts. Doulas are non-medical labour coaches. She would help us through early labour and stay with us for the birth of our baby.  Our midwife is the one who will deliver the baby and typically doesn't come until you are about 4cm's along. I really didn't know what a doula was until I asked our midwife. So between our midwife and a doula, we would be totally and completely covered! Dallas and I still have to talk about us using a doula. We are heading towards getting one for sure but there is an extra expense that comes with using one so we need to make sure we are making the right choice. In my opinion, we could use all the support we can get. If using a doula helps to make our dreams of having a VBAC come true, then there is no reason not to use one! 

After our appointment with our midwife, we went our to lunch at Swiss Chalet! It was the very first time the boys went to a restaurant! They did great...of course they were a huge hit as well! After lunch, we went shopping. I swear, everywhere we take these babies tons of people stop us! It really makes us feel blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment